Flies are super annoying. They climb around in trash cans and then have the nerve to land on your face. Why on earth do they do that? We're going to take a look at this and other behavior patterns that flies exhibit and discuss how you can use this knowledge of fly behavior to help you with fly pest control in Nashville. Have a look.
Why Do Flies Sit On Humans?
Flies actually have a good reason to land on your face. Your skin has natural oils, salt from your sweat, and dead skin cells. All of these are food for flies.
If you have recently showered, you're going to be less interesting to flies. You can use this knowledge for house fly prevention. If keeping yourself clean keeps flies away, it only makes sense that keeping other things clean will also work to keep flies away. We'll take a look at how this works in a moment.
Types Of Flies You Can Find Inside Nashville Homes
House flies aren't the only flies that can get into your Nashville home and drive you crazy. We have fruit flies, fungus gnats, drain flies, phorid flies, cluster flies, and more. Each of the flies that get into your home are attracted to certain things.
If you want to get rid of flies, you need to know what each of these flies considers to be a meal. They're not all garbage flies.
- Fruit flies are attracted to rotting fruit, vinegar, and alcohol.
- Fungus gnats are attracted to potting soil.
- Drain flies are looking for rotting organic matter that is usually found in drains.
- Phorid flies are attracted to feces.
- Cluster flies prefer to be outside but may get into Nashville homes when it gets cold outside.
Let's take a look at how you can use the natural behavior patterns of flies to keep them out of your home.
House Fly & Other Filthy Fly Prevention Tips
The primary rule of thumb with fly prevention is to remove the food sources flies desire. Not only do they eat from these food sources, they lay their eggs in them.
- Protect fruit by putting them in your fridge, or by covering your fruit. If you prefer to not have a swarm of flies in your home, this is a great way to prevent it.
- When you see little flies in plants, you're looking at fungus gnats. Put potted plants outside to remove these flies from your home, or apply a treatment to your potted soil to arrest larval development.
- When you see little flies that look like moths, it is time to clean your drains. There are many botanical options for addressing organic matter in your drains.
- If you find tiny black flies in your house that run away from you when you approach, those are probably phorid flies. Phorid fly infestations often result from pet waste problems, such as poorly maintained cat boxes, dog waste in the yard, or accidents pets have on the floor. Clean this up and remove these flies with a vacuum and you may be done with them.
- Flies that come into your home from the outside can be deterred by replacing weatherstripping and door sweeps that don't create a good seal and by sealing entry points with foam, caulk, or a screen material.
These tips may be all that is needed to keep flies out of your home. If you can't seem to find the food source or breeding site, it is helpful to contact a licensed residential pest control professional and get an inspection. If you're in Nashville, we can assist you with this. Reach out to us here at Cima Solutions.
Professional Indoor Fly Reduction Services In Nashville
At Cima Solutions, we provide industry-leading control for flies in Nashville homes and businesses. We use a field-tested approach to evaluate fly activity, conducive conditions, food sources, and potential entry points. The products we use are designed to target the specific flies that are giving you problems and give general protection from all flies that lurk around outside. When you reach out to us regarding a fly infestation, you'll get a comprehensive solution to your fly control issue and long-lasting protection from fly infestations in the future.
Do you have any questions that weren't addressed by this article? We'd be happy to answer them for you. You can connect with us through our contact page or give us a call. We know how annoying flies can be and we want to help you get your fly problem resolved as quickly as possible. We're also aware of the health concerns business owners in Nashville have regarding flies. When you reach out to Cima Solutions, you're in good hands. We have the solutions that will help resolve your fly problem.