If you find a cockroach in your house or you notice warning signs of cockroach activity, there are a few things you should know. You need to know what you're up against, how roaches can impact your health, and what measures work to get control of them. Here is a quick control guide for Nashville cockroaches. In this guide, you'll find the information you need to make the best decision for cockroach pest control in Nashville.
Species Of Cockroach That Commonly Invade Homes
What are the cockroach species that impact human health in Nashville? The most common species we see are German, American, Oriental, and brown-banded cockroaches. All of these roach species have the ability to infest your home if given the right conditions. Of the four, there are two species that can be managed with natural pest control: American cockroaches and Oriental cockroaches. These two species prefer damp environments found in landscaping and other exterior zones. German cockroaches and brown-banded cockroaches are more difficult to control because they have a preference for indoor environments.
Why Cockroach Infestations Are A Major Health Risk
Not all cockroaches present a risk to human health. Unfortunately, the species that impact human health do so in a surprising number of ways. Here are cockroach facts from the leading authorities.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) refers to cockroaches as unhygienic scavengers in human settlements. This is a simple and accurate assessment of pest cockroach species.
- The National Pest Management Association (NPMA) states that cockroaches are implicated in the spread of more than 33 types of bacteria, six species of parasites, and at least seven human pathogens.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says, "The cockroach is considered an allergen source and an asthma trigger for residents. Although little evidence exists to link the cockroach to specific disease outbreaks, it has been demonstrated to carry Salmonella typhimurium, Entamoeba histolytica, and the poliomyelitis virus."
Roaches can make you sick. For this reason, we recommend contacting a licensed pest control provider if you find roach activity in your home.
Naturally Effective Ways To Prevent Cockroaches In The House
The best way for you to deal with cockroaches is with proactive pest maintenance because cockroaches are incredibly difficult to deal with once they get inside. The on-staff pest experts here at Cima Solutions suggest the following.
- Remove odors that attract cockroaches. Cockroaches are attracted to things that smell bad, such as garbage, pet waste, and fertilizer. If you keep things clean around your home and manage fertilizer, compost, and other potential attractants, you can deter cockroaches.
- Remove food sources. Cockroaches are omnivores in the widest sense of the term. They eat human food, both fresh and rotting. They eat pet food. They eat hair, skin cells, and feces. Sanitation and addressing food sources work together to make your property less interesting to pest cockroaches and may reduce roach activity significantly.
- Address potential breeding sites. Cockroaches breed in trash receptacles. If you notice cockroach activity around your home, it may be necessary to get receptacles that have tight-fitting lids that are completely sealed—as opposed to receptacles that have flip covers that just rest on top of your receptacles.
- Address habitat preferences. Cockroaches prefer to be near a home that has organic debris, objects to hide under, and moisture. Rake leaves. Pick up sticks. Remove yard clutter. Clean gutters and make repairs. Trim vegetation and remove weeds.
- Seal exterior entry points. If you have not yet found signs of a cockroach infestation in your home, get a caulking gun and seal gaps, cracks, and holes in your exterior. It is also important to replace weatherstripping, door sweeps, or screens that are not in good condition.
- Inspect used furniture. Roaches can get into your home by hitchhiking. Always inspect used furniture for roach activity, black fecal spotting, shed skins, or egg casings.
All of these steps may seem like a lot of work and you may choose to purchase over-the-counter products to keep roaches out of your home or address a cockroach infestation that has already taken root. If so, you should be aware that these products can get undesired results when selected or applied incorrectly, and this could allow cockroaches to continue to secretly infest your home and continue to make you sick.
The Secret To Total Cockroach Control For Nashville Homes
It is a lot of work applying natural control methods and it can be frustrating applying cockroach control products such as roach bait and traps. If you're in Nashville, reach out to us here at Cima Solutions. We use industry-leading control products and methods to arrest roach infestations and we offer year-round perimeter pest control to keep cockroaches and other common pests out. Reach out to us for immediate home pest control and commercial pest control services in Nashville.